Global Business and Social Enterprise

In an increasingly global economy, international experience for Indiana University MBA candidates comes from hands-on work in the field as much as the classroom. A group of students, led by Professor Sheri Fella, travel to Ghana to help local entrepreneurs tackle business challenges using cutting edge business practices. The Kelley MBA GLOBASE initiative provides a unique social enterprise experience by partnering with Ghanaian businesses to make a global impact.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 5 in Ghana


By Tim Cheng

Today was a productive day filled with ATAG customer and staff interviews. We wanted to confirm ATAG’s competitive advantage, core products, and opportunities for growth and from these interactions we received a wealth of information. It’s so interesting how so much of the feedback from both customers and staff overlap. We even visited the Marketing Director at the Ghana Football association – he was a busy man so he made sure we knew he only had 15 minutes to talk to us about ATAG. But he spent all of his 30 minute break talking politics and global events with us – it was awesome!

I came back from the client site early with our team partner to make some more customer calls. However, due to the lack of dependability of over-the-counter cell phones I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to connect to customers and getting bumped off conversations. I had to remind myself I was in Ghana where “everything takes three times as long”.

I think one of the biggest learning experiences for me stemmed from that issue. I have learned to be more patient, and try not to get frustrated when I am not being as productive as I want at any given moment. After an hour and a half of trying to make calls (and failing), getting bumped off, using someone else’s cellphone (and failing), troubleshooting the cell phone, I found myself absolutely frustrated and cursing the technology gods. It definitely presented a learning experience in “adaptability”- an LDP trait I knew I struggled with early on. I can already see myself growing, and I’m sure I’ll have continued opportunities to grow in area – I just hope I survive the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment